Pages

13 March 2011

Caleb’s Song

The late summer breeze is autumn-kissed. The willow trees’ vibrant emerald fades as glimpes of gold emerge. Nathan and I sit on our back stoop to eat supper, fajitas dripping, paper plates drooping. Across from us, Adara and Caleb share a green garden chair, a sea captain’s wayfaring seat.

“Where’s my water?”

Nathan examines his empty cup. I swallow a guilty gulp. He goes with an incredulous huff to find his missing beverage. “What wrong?” Caleb watches the scene unfold, sensing the unspoken banter hanging in the air. He tries to make sense of the emotions, playfulness disguised as frustration. “I drank all of Daddy’s water without asking. I should have asked him. It wasn’t nice of me.”

“Oh.”


Then, as if on cue:

“We have to share, we have to share, we have to share.

We have to lay down our lives… for Jesus!

We have to bow down to Jesus,

We have to bow down to Jesus,

We have to bow down to Jesus… in our love!”


I close my eyes and soak it in, the praise ordained from the mouth of my boy. Holy worship flowing from his lips.


We have to bow down to Jesus, We have to bow down to Jesus in our love…


“Did you know I could sing like that, Mommy?”


I open my eyes. His wide green ones meet mine. “No, Caleb, I had no idea you could sing like that.”


He smiles, a knowing smile. So full of life. “It was a great song, huh?”


“Yes, my boy, that was the best worship song I have heard lately.”


Spontaneous worship. Joyful proclamation. Heart song; life song; love song. Let it be mine. May it be yours. Holy Spirit, make this a reality for me today.


We have to bow down to Jesus in our love

No comments:

Post a Comment

.